[DeTomaso] Brass Seat Rollers Banging

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 30 20:58:15 EDT 2007

Several of us have noticed that the replacement brass rollers for the stock
seat tracks end up rolling back and forth inside the tracks, banging into
the stops with every start or stop.  SOBill Taylor had come up with a simple
home remedy whereby he'd merely drilled holes in the centers of the rollers,
inserted some small springs in the holes, and magically the rollers stopped
banging around.

So today, I decided I'd had enough of the knocking back and forth so I
stopped by Home Depot and found some lightweight 3/8" X 1-1/8" compression
springs.  Then I removed the seats and unbolted one end of each seat track
from the seat bottom.  I pulled out the replacement brass rollers and then
drilled a 3/8" hole in the center of each, inserted the springs, and put the
whole thing back together.  I had to trim about 1/8" off one end of each
spring to get a snug but not tight fit inside the tracks.  It took probably
three hours start to finish, not counting the trip to Home Depot.

Bingo!  No more hammer noises under the seats when I brake or accelerate.  I
like it.

Thanks for the idea SOB.

Dave Bell