[DeTomaso] Vin Diesels Dad

hoppe1 at cox.net hoppe1 at cox.net
Thu Mar 29 20:35:21 EDT 2007

In about 1983 the pantera club and some other car groups rented the Riverside Speedway for the weekend.
I was there with my pantera and there were a number of hemi chargers and superbees etc there.  I remember a real 427 corvette in mint condition hit the wall and blew glass all over,
I thought I would be able to outrun the hemis with all the curves with the pantera.
The interesting thing was they did body roll a lot on the curves but they really hung in there better than I expected.
I could pull up behind them in the curves but in the straights they just ripped.  I had a boss 351 engine at the time and could not catch them in the straights.
I found myself being passed on the straights and unable by track rules to pass on the curves.
I really had a lot more respect for the cars overall handling abilties at the end of the day based on their performance.
HP seems to rule.
Rich