[DeTomaso] Seatbelt Light Problem

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 02:21:03 EDT 2007

Built into late car driver and passenger seats are switches do  detect when
someone is sitting on the seat.

The basic scheme if that if a seat was occupied, and the seat belt  was not
engaged and the handbrake was not set, the warning light would be on and  you
could not start the car.

My '74 had no switches in or wiring to the seat belt retractor  and no
switches in the seats. I believe the factory never fully implemented what  Big
Brother thought was a good idea at the time. Over 10 million  US vehicles were
built with these interlock systems before Big Brother  decided that the lowly
citizens could probably survive without seat belt/starter  interlocks.

But, if the two wires which would have gone to  the switches which were not
in seat are still under your seats and are  touching (which mine are and have
done) you will get a Seat Belt Warning  Light. You should also get a warning
buzzer, but since you didn't mention one, I  guess the buzzer has been
disconnected.

The electrical diagram for Big Brother's Circuit is  at:

>>http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/STARTER%20INTERLOCKS%20AND%20OVERRIDE
.pdf

and a picture of the location of the seat belt warning buzzer is  near the
bottom of:

>>http://www.panteraplace.com/page107.htm

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor