[DeTomaso] Torker and Valley Pan

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 15:22:05 EDT 2007

< That said--since the engine was designed to use it, why *wouldn't* you use
it (a turkey-tray intake gasket/splash-guard)?   >>

Several reasons- because they seal via sheet-steel embossed rings around the
ports and work fine with cast iron parts.  Using one on aluminum intakes or
cylinder heads will dent the aluminum. I always recommend using much
better-sealing composite intake gaskets with aluminum intakes. Finally, turkey-trays have
never been included in a top-end gasket set- always were extra cost & often
not available. Re-using a complete old turkey-tray will undoubtably leak either
externally or internally. What we often did if one was needed as a
splash-guard was use tin-snips to cut away the port section of an old tray, then simply
lay it in place (maybe with a little permatex to temporarily retain it).The
tray then has no sealing qualities and cannot move out of position once the
intake is bolted down, and It still keeps most of the oil from splashing on the
base of the intake. As Dan mentioned, we used little pieces of steel beer cans
permatexed in place over the exhaust crossover ports. No burn-outs in a couple
of years time (but aluminum can pieces only lasted a couple of months). FWIW-
J Deryke <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers
free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>