[DeTomaso] Torker and Valley Pan

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 03:46:43 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/26/07 23 01 18, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

>   I've always heard the warning about how the turkey tray keeps the oil
> from burning and turning to ash on the bottom of the intake.
>
> I just pulled the heads of my Cleveland with about 28K miles on it and there
> was no turkey tray. There was also no ash or burnt oil. Nothing but just
> nice clean, fluid oil clinging to clean aluminum.
>
>>>That's encouraging.   Although, you aren't driving your car hard at
all--you're just cruising.   A motor that saw serious open track or ORR use would
probably have a different story to tell.   But you raise an excellent point--how
many of us really push our cars like that?

> >I find it rather questionable that a steel block-off plate would burn
> through, when all it is subjected to is the radiant heat coming off the heads. If
> radiant heat is enough to dissolve a thin steel block off plate, then maybe
> that is where my turkey tray went to? ;-)
>
>>>It's not radiant heat.   There is a hole in two of the exhaust ports, and
hot exhaust gasses are ducted up through the small port in the center of the
heads and into the intake manifold.   So that is HOT air under extreme
pressure.   Whether it's hot enough to eventually burn through 18-gauge (or whatever)
steel is yet another matter for conjecture. :>)