[DeTomaso] wiper motor

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 23:51:35 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/26/07 20 22 7, JAYTCREC at aol.com writes:

> the wiper motor failed to operate on a recent run.  yes, it was  raining on
> the car.
>
>>>I would hope that you wouldn't be running the wipers in bright sunshine. ;>
)

> the cover under the fender was removed and the wiper motor was smacked
> sharply several times whereupon it obediently began working.
>
>>>It is made by Lucas.   Questions? :>)

> Though, it does seem to work in a fairly slow speed even set on high.
> Would
> a new motor be faster???
>
>>>Perhaps.   The design of the motor case actually traps water (brilliant!)
if the car is driven in rain regularly.   The cover probably helps prevent
that pretty effectively though--I suspect it's mostly those cars that are missing
(or were built without) the cover that suffer from that.

While the motor can get tired, it's also possible that the grease in the
mechanism can turn to stone.   I recently learned that it's a fairly
straightforward process to clean it all out.

The first thing you have to do is remove the wiper arms from the gearboxes.
Then you can unbolt the wiper motor cover, unbolt the clamp holding the motor
to the car, disconnect the electrical connector, and simply withdraw the
motor and the coiled drive from the car.

Check out the grease and see what it looks like.   If you find it old and
hard, then you have to (CAREFULLY!!!!) remove the wiper grilles, loosen the nuts
which clamp the drive tubes, and then slide the drive tubes out.   You can
then remove the gearboxes and take them apart, and clean all the hard grease out
of there.

It would probably be worthwhile to plug your motor back in, turn the switch
on and see if the cable moves freely.   If not, then perhaps you would benefit
from a new motor.

> >So, should I replace it to make sure that it never misbehaves again or  is
> there a less expensive option? Rebuild or a cross reference to a less
> expensive
> replacement?
> Thank you in advance.
>
>>>The motor is laughably cheap.   They are standard issue on virtually every
British and Italian car from the 1950s, 60s and 70s.   A few minutes spent on
Google should net you dozens of Jaguar, Triumph, MG, etc. and so forth
sources.

There are some minor differences between motors; Panteras have the heavies
t-duty motor if I recall correctly.

Here is a fantastic source of information on this system:

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/SVCWIPERS.HTM

Cheers!