[DeTomaso] clutch squeal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 13:47:08 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/26/07 7:15:01, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

<<   It's the rear tires!  Try not to rev it so high and let the clutch out a
bit slower and you shouldn't break rubber every time.  ;o)

>>>That reminds me of a story.

As many people know, the Pantera was my first car; I didn't know how to
drive, nor did I have an automobile driver's license when I bought my Pantera back
in October 1989.  My girlfriend had to hurriedly teach me to drive in her
Datsun B210 Sundowner in an abandoned parking lot, but as I had been riding
motorcycles for years, it was a pretty straightforward process.

About a month after I bought it, after spending most of that time fixing it
to the point where I thought it was safe to drive (I was wrong, but that's
another story), I drove the Pantera from California to Wichita Falls, TX in one
18-hour day, arriving at 9:30 p.m. just in time to go out and party with some of
my friends from college who had started pilot training at Sheppard AFB a few
months before I did.  One of them had purchased a brand new '89 5.0 Mustang GT
with a five-speed, and as a non-drinker, I was nominated as designated driver.

Two other guys and three girls piled into this Mustang, and I got behind the
wheel and set off for the club.  I noted that first gear was incredibly low,
much lower than in the Pantera, and the throttle response from the
fuel-injected motor felt decidedly weird and oddly difficult to modulate smoothly, and I
also noticed a strange ZzzZzzZzz sound whenever I left a stop.  The car seemed
to drive fine, but it just kept making that strange noise.

Finally, when I was almost there (having driven almost all the way across
town), I happened to glance in the mirror while leaving a stop and saw SMOKE
behind the car!

Turns out that I was absolutely BROILING the tires at each stop!  That
ZzzZzzZzz sound was the tires spinning madly!  I bet I took 50% of the life off my
friend's tires on that one short drive.  Fortunately he was already fairly
well-lubricated and didn't seem to notice.

I conducted all further stops from 2nd gear with no further displays of
inadvertant hooliganism....

  >Seriously, I agree with Bill. Sounds like the throw-out bearing. >>

>>>It's odd that it only squeals when you are in-transit, i.e. it is silent
when the clutch is depressed, and when it is lifted, and only makes noise when
you are initially setting off.  At the risk of asking the obvious, could it
possibly be belt squeal (especially since you said "it sounds like belt
squeal").  Those few Panteras I have heard with squealing belts, only seemed to make
noise when the driver was leaving a stop....

http://www.aol.com.</HTML>