[DeTomaso] VIN 2862 "Candy" factory Group 4 racing at Mugello

Patrick Hals patrickhals at skynet.be
Sun Mar 25 16:52:42 EDT 2007

I don't know if there are any local Pantera aficionados in the Firenze-Italy area among the Forum, but if any, I am happy to invite you next week end at Mugello, ( see http://www.mugellocircuit.it/english/index.htm ) where Candy will make its come back on a European track. Candy hasn't raced in Europe for the last 29 years or so, and it has been immediately "welcome " by the Mastersseries organizers (www.themastersseries.com ) in the World Sports Car category.
I must have been playing my kids'Playstation Moto Grand Prix 10,000 times in order to learn the track sequence , and in order to spend my time when I get there on set up rather than on guessing "what's next" as it is a very fast track ( which is good for the car long "Le Mans" gearbox ratio ). We have been validating two brand new brakes master cylinders, ( one died in Zolder race track two weeks ago and I didn't want to take any chance on the second one ) ) checking alternator ( The Le Mans Classic ghost last year with 2342 ) and putting back the last Spa shockdampers set up in Abbeville ( France ) last  Friday, under pouring rain, 4° celcius, slick tyres and no windshiled wipers. A bit hectic...  In this famous WW2 historical area, and apart from some spin off beginnings here and there , even in the straight at 100 mph, between the rails, everything went just perfect :>)) The car has a lot of torque, and the engine sounds and revs like a Formula One ! Brakes are now perfect, alternator's charge is more than 13 volts in 7th gear at 2000 RPM, ( sorry, I meant 5th gear )  ...; shockdampers: just guessing it is OK...
I just hope it won't rain in Italy, as it would jeopardize the spaghetti and Valpollicella taste :>)
I' ll be back on the forum next week , hopefully with no crash, good news and spectacular pics.
Patrick