[DeTomaso] Peder Pantera

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sun Mar 25 16:45:41 EDT 2007

Ken,
Please let me be back with the exact A-arm in the chassis location mounting. Peder was in love with the PI
campy clones 17":s. There is a big difference in size front to rear,  and I dont really know how to set the
ride height yet. When designing a car like the racing Corvette, everything is based on calculations, but here
Peders taste and dreams enter the picture, and my job is to see to that he will be happy with the car.
If I have had free hands I should have selected another tire size for the car.

Anyway, modern tires is lower profiles than the 70:s. They provide better grip for higher cornering loads.
We also got better shocks, in this case some of the best there is, which serve the opportunity of a better
ride even if using a stiffer setting. This provides a better controll of roll and thereby less need for camber gain
geometry. The low profile of modern tires is more dependent on camber control, or should I say more
dependent on beeing in 90 dgr to the road regardless of what the car is doing.

For the sake of experiment I have been driving around with the original A-arm geometry on the rear right side
and a new A-arms more parallel type on the left side of the car last summer. (I didnt get to many miles on it
then as I was having a surgery). Resulting in no inside rubber left on the right tire from acceleration squat
-camber. I did have some better left turn rear grip but it did not make up for the lost of straight line acceleration
grip. And this was using bias ply Avon:s.
Regards
Goran

  Goran,

        Can you please explain what differences in suspension geometry modern tires would motivate?  Did you relocate where the control arms connect to the frame and/or the tire ends of the control arms?

  Ken