[DeTomaso] Oil Pan gasket install

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 02:21:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/23/07 23 16 4, rwgushue at gte.net writes:

> Anyone ever used the permatex gasket remover ?  I hate removing old
> original holly float bowl or metering plate gaskets, takes forever.

particularly thick gaskets, several applications may be required.   Basically you
spray it on, then let it sit for a few minutes, and it dissolves the old gaskets
away.

Be advised that it is extremely democratic in its effect.   When you spray
your cylinder heads to dissolve the header gaskets, it will simultaneously
dissolve the engine paint.   So mask accordingly.

Also, if you are lying underneath the car, remember that the laws of gravity
are fairly universal.   Spraying straight up onto your cylinder head will
initally be productive, but when the gasket remover and/or pieces of gasket are
dislodged, chances are pretty good that they will fall downward, which is where
you don't want to be.

Mike (been there done that)