[DeTomaso] Rear Caliper Rebuilding

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 02:21:44 EDT 2007

Rebuilding our brake calipers is not difficult since all thats required is to
remove the piston(s), clean them with scotch-brite and replace the square
rubber sealing ring in the caliper bore. All Pantera vendors sell 'rebuild kits'.
The job is very messy, though. The Pantera's rear caliper is particularly
easy since once the caliper body is removed from the e-brake assembly, the piston
and the self-adjusting mechanism slides out of either end of the caliper body
intact. I suggest not messing with the self-adjusting mechanism- it's very
complex & there are no spare parts. A little Girling Brake Lube is applied to
the new square ring before inserting it into its groove in the caliper body. If
you have back issues of the club newsletter, in the Aug 2002 POCA News, I went
thru the rebuilding of all the calipers in detail.

If you're doing this because its time for service, good for you! If you have
a leak though, I suggest VERY carefully examining the piston surface for tiny
pits. European brake pistons are almost universally made of chrome or
nickel-plated mild steel, and water in old brake fluid will worm-hole thru any plating
to rust the underlying steel. Ragged rust pits protrude and tear the rubber
seal as it slides by, eventually destroying it. Just putting a new seal in
won't fix the leak in this case. U.S brake pistons including Wilwood & other
aftermarket units are stainless steel; this leak problem does not exist. There are
no replacement pistons for our Girling calipers, either, nor for most of the
Euro calipers made in the early '70s. When one piston in my Porsche alloy
calipers (used in our Pantera's rear) leaked & I found pits, I searched the world
for replacements & finally made some pistons from billet stainess. Good luck- J
deRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers
free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>