[DeTomaso] Horror Stories....Re: Trailering Tiedown Points

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 03:21:20 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/20/07 10:28:49 PM, peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< In that conversation he told me to park it (on the street or in the
trailer)with the parking brake on but not in gear because of  inherent weakness in
the design. I was also confused how it could withstand a pounding on the track
but not a bump in the parking lot. >>

If it was only a single bump, there would be no problem. But in towing-
especially long distances- with the car in gear, every bump, minor speed change or
brake-touch by the driver will cause inertia on a car in a trailer to smack
the tranny gear thats engaged from the 'power side' to the 'coast side' of the
very same tooth, just as if one was hammering on that one tooth. While driving,
each tooth gets power applied to it for only a millisecond, then the power
goes to the next tooth, spreading the force and limiting the time applied. Big
difference here. If you must tow, I suggest using a real e-brake, set on hard
and leave the tranny in neutral. Of course, the best suggestion is to drive the
Pantera and sell the trailer to a Chevy fan.
I used to say the ZF is the strongest part of a Pantera and could take
upwards of 800 horses, but Greg Esakoff has modified that view a bit.... FWIW- J
DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>