[DeTomaso] Headlamp replacement and aiming advice.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 00:19:59 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/18/07 13 11 43, diiulio at ix.netcom.com writes:

> 1. I'd like to improve the brightness of my headlamps, suggestions on
> brands or types? ( still have stock buckets)
>
>>>When I bought my 427 Cobra replica, it was equipped with Cibie Z-beam
headlights, and I was just astonished at how excellent they were.   Despite the
fact my Pantera was equipped with Carello halogen lights, I ran right out and
bought Cibies for my Pantera and GT350.

They have a rather unique light pattern, which delivers a very crisp 'line'
at the top rather than just diffusing away like regular lights.   (Almost like
modern HID lamps).

I got them from Talbot International:

http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm

You want the top light listed on this page.

Recognize that these lamps draw considerably more power than the standard
sealed beams, and with the stock wiring scheme, ALL lamp voltage passes directly
through the cheesy Lucas switch.  Running big lights like this will toast the
switch internally.   Maybe not tomorrow or the next day, but certainly.   So
you need to rewire the headlamp circuit to incorporate relays; a how-to article
with wiring diagram can be found on www.panteraplace.com, or you can buy a
plug-and-play kit from Rick Moseley.

> 2. I need to re-aim my lamps for optimal illumination in low and hi
> beams, is there a process for this?
>
>>>Just by gosh and by golly.   Find a dark, deserted street where you can
park and leave the car in the middle of the road.   Cover one lamp with
cardboard, aim the other, then repeat with the other side.

Cheers!