[DeTomaso] no intro needed

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 21:10:33 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/18/07 19:23:21, pantera007 at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< I know this car, it is in the ProvaMo Registry.  I saw it at Wheels 'N
Deals
more
than 5-7 years ago.  I think Jack knows the guy.

>>>He was a PCNC member for some time, but dropped out in the early 90s.  His
name is Cliff Marks.  He had another Pantera, one many are familiar with
because Ron Kimball photographed it and it was featured in many calendars.  It is
painted in a somewhat similar dark cherry/black, with purplish Pantera script
along the bottom.  It's a '71, with wire wheels (!) and dragster-style zoomie
headers poking out in front of the rear wheels (!!!)

You can see his street car by going to:

http://www.ronkimballstock.com/index.asp?tag=cats&site=rkcar

And searching on "Pantera".  There are two or three images of it there.

Cliff and his wife lived in a trailer park, and the speed bumps were so high
and his Pantera so seriously lowered that he couldn't drive it!  He had to
trailer it out of his own carport before he could drive it anywhere!

>I'd guess it is on a Long & Newman chassis.

>>>Nope, not even close.  Remember, the L&N chassis was set up to utilize a
complete Pantera suspension/drivetrain setup with ZF etc.  This car (that is,
the dragster that's for sale, not the street car) is front-engined, with a
straight rear axle (Ford 9-inch I would guess).  The ad says the chassis was
fabbed up from scratch by Magnum Force of Campbell, Ca.

I don't know if this car ever raced or not.  For sure, this car is a very
detailed answer to a question nobody ever asked before.  And one could further
answer that this car is the argument against the statement, "There are no stupid
questions." !

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>