[DeTomaso] Hot Dimmer Switch

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 16:26:19 EDT 2007

      You can make a very efficient switched capacitor or switched inductor power supply, but the ones I have seen don't have a knob to vary the voltage out.  I guess there are really cheap processors available and I suppose some may have inputs for a pot and they can be programmed to control a switched power supply and thereby control the voltage output based on the pot setting.  Seems like overkill?

        If the lights are too bright, maybe try dimmer (lower current) bulbs first, and see if that drops the power dispated in the dimmer switch enough?  The heat you're feeling should just be proportional to the sum of the currents through all of the light it is controlling.

  Ken

Thomas Tornblom <Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se> wrote:
  Tomas Gunnarsson skrev:
> Art,
>
> There is no efficiency gain to be had by switching from one rheostat ot another. They all have the same power loss at a given output voltage.

Unless one use some modern switching thing.

> Tomas

Thomas

--
Real life: Thomas Törnblom Email: Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail: Banvallsvägen 14 Phone: +46 18 444 33 21