[DeTomaso] NPC-Carb boiling fuel?

Tom Di Iulio diiulio at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 17 23:32:52 EDT 2007

Thanks robert!
I agree that too much fuel is being pushed in or being allowed to pass
thru unimpeded.
The carb is new so I'm not sure rebuilding will help but it's possible
some crap is in there from the manufacturing process, good advice. The
floats were brass and he switched to plastic so he could see if they
were loading up, they're not but we can change back to brass.
I agree that if the needle assembly was "buggered" or if fuel pressure
is too high, it should be happening all the time. still a mystery.
Thanks!

I posted your question on a Camaro Club Forum I am a member of, hope
this
helps.

Post 1.  Somehow too much fuel is getting in - too much fuel pressure
(something below 8psi is ok on a Holley), the float is set too high or
has
sunk, or something has jammed the needle valve open.

I'd suggest pulling the front fuel bowl and 'rebuilding' it, if the carb

otherwise seems ok. Dip the fuel bowl in carb cleaner for a couple
hours,
get a new gasket set for it, change the needle/seat. If the float is
brass,
if there's no fuel inside and no obvious damage or holes, its probably
ok to
reuse. If its a plastic float, replace it. They are somewhat known to
absorb
fuel over time.

Post 2. The float needle is the only way gas can get into the bowl.
Therefore it is either dirt or bad float needle assembly or fuel
pressure is
too high. Would be odd if it's fuel pressure as it would always be an
issue
hot or cold, assuming constant fuel pressure of course.

Good luck

Bob