[DeTomaso] Fly yellow attracts more than flies....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 02:20:50 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

So, I went zipping around town in the Pantera today; I'm having carpets made
for it next week and I wanted to swing by the upholstery shop (just a mile
from my house) to show it to the guy just so he knows exactly what to expect.  I
also had dropped a box full of 351C parts for Longchamp Phil in London at the
Fed Ex office this morning, and then another widget showed up for him when I
got home, so I needed to intercept the box and stick it inside before the Fed
Ex international pickup in the afternoon.

Upon leaving the upholstery shop, I just had to jump on the freeway and go up
to the next exit to get to the Fed Ex shop.  The on-ramp is only about two
months old, and is a beautiful piece of highway engineering.  It's about three
or four car-widths wide, banked, and increasing radius.  In any of my other
cars (particularly my Scirocco), I take it WFO and sliding, but I freely admit I
don't know how to drive a Pantera properly, so circumspection was the order of
the day.  The weather was beautiful, there was nobody around, so I just sort
of ambled onto the freeway, clicked it into 5th gear and cruised in the slow
lane.

Nearing the exit I glanced in the mirror and saw an all-white Ford Crown Vic
hauling ass, and just then, the red and blue lights in the grille started
flashing.  I thought it was rather odd that a CHP cruiser would be going so fast
in the slow lane, when there was no other traffic in the other two lanes....

....ah yes, well, that would be because of me then, I suppose.  As I took the
off-ramp I just pulled over and stopped, and the CHP car was right there
behind me.

Hmm.  I didn't feel like I was doing anything particularly rambunctious,
particularly under the circumstances of a wide-open road with perfect weather
etc.?  Normally I'd be going a lot faster.

I shut the motor down and waited for the cop to appear, but he went to the
passenger side and of course the window was up.  So I had to turn the key on to
lower the window.  Expecting to see a dude, instead I was confronted with an
ultra-butch lesbian CHP officer with the biggest grin you ever saw, who said,
"HI!  What kind of CAR is this?"

Hmm.  This isn't sounding so bad....

"Oh, I'm not going to give you a ticket or anything.  Although I did clock
you at 80 mph back there--actually 82 mph.  But the road was wide open with
nobody around, so that's fine.  Did you just drive it here from Oklahoma?"

I explained that I was in the Air Force, hence the out-of-state plates, and
hoped not to get any grief about it.

Then she said, "Tell me about this car?"

I love it when that happens. :>)

So what followed was a ten-minute dissertation on Pantera history, as well as
my own history with the car.  She told me that even though she wasn't going
to write a ticket, she had to run my license and registration just because that
was standard procedure whenever they did a stop.

Since the carpets are going in next week, I've pulled all the interior out
including the passenger seat.  I leaned over to open the glovebox, and just as I
did so, I remembered that because of the need to access the area behind the
dash to hook up the A/C and heater hoses in the next few weeks, I hadn't
bothered attaching the hinges of the glovebox lid, and the glovebox was only secured
by the latch that I had just unsecured.  So with that, the lid came off in my
hand, and a whole bunch of fuses and a flashlight and a bunch of other stuff
cascaded onto the bare floors and bounced around....

...and no registration.  Insurance yes, but where did my registration
paperwork go?

"Oh, that's okay, that's good enough..." and off she went.

A few minutes later, with a friendly beep of the Fiamm air horns, I was on my
way again....:>)

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>