[DeTomaso] Rear View Cameras, Radar and Laser Detectors, and Other Pantera Driving Assistants

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 12:18:30 EDT 2007

Isn't that illegal? ;-]>

Chris Difani <cdifani at pacbell.net> wrote:  Mikey:

Well, I don't know about that.... From a purely anecdotal standpoint, as soon as I installed these on my daughter's car, she stopped getting those red light tickets... Up to that point she had been "receiving" one every 4 to 6 months. After the "cover", they stopped. And I know she didn't change her driving style, or her daily route. Since I installed them on her car, 4 years ago, she has been "photo ticket free".

Another datum for you; I've tried to take a picture of my license plate thru the cover, and it just doesn't show up. Just a big glare where the plate is. I've taken pictures with both digital and film cameras, all with the same "blur" results.

Last datum, again not officially sanctioned, but I think it's a worthwhile test. I've got a couple of cop buddies who've installed them on their personal cars, and who also "tested" theirs by going thru a photo monitored intersection. They did this unofficial test, in conjunction with one of their buddies who was responsible for the equipment on the intersection. The system "caught" his car, but the resulting photo of the rear license plate wasn't legible. Just a big glare. And at the same moment that their rear license plate blurred out, an immediately adjacent (4 feet away) 2003 Mustang GT had it's "picture" taken, with perfect clarity and legibility.

I didn't happen to catch that Myth Busters episode, so I can't respond to their results. All I can do is point to my personal knowledge, both second hand anecdotal (daughter), and the unofficial testing.

Personally I'm going to keep these "covers" on. They sure don't hurt anything, and in my own critical experience, they protect 4 cars, over the past 4 years. No operating cost, no maintenance expense, and as usual, my milage may vary from yours....

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
Sacramento, CA