[DeTomaso] Trailering Tiedown Points

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:00:07 EDT 2007

In towing lots of race cars I've seen many people do all kinds of
things to keep cars in place.

Some have used a cradle type of tie down over each tire that kept the
tire securely locked down in one place and allowed the suspension to
function to help smooth out the bumps and not allow the car chassis to
absorb the hard jolts.

I have seen others use ratcheting straps on the four corner to the
trailer for corners or D-rings mounted in the floor ( which should be
bolted to frame mounted backing supports, I have never trusted only
graduated washers to diamond plate as a mounting method ), some
cris-cross and some don't and as already stated, those that cris cross
are doing so because their trailer is too short for the job.

I have always used a tire block of some kind as a safety measure, even
if it was only sections of a 2 x 4 jammed between the floor and the
tire rubber.  Usually they are always left in gear, but many don't do
that either for the stress put on the transmission/transaxle teeth by
jolts and potholes.

When I bought my Pantera, I used a 20 ft open trailer to bring it
home, ratcheting straps to the frame in front and around the frame at
the rear, snugged down and re snugged after the first 15 minutes, with
wooden blocks behind and in front of all four tires, with the car left
in third gear, car facing forwards closer to the front of the trailer
than to the rear to put weight forward of the trailer center line.

If I were to haul the car in an enclosed trailer, I would probably put
it in backwards to achieve the same thing but wouldn't have to worry
about wind pressure opening up the hood, etc.

Open trailers with a fold down fender assemlby are best or have a
skinny friend if you're like me and probably can't crawl through the
window frame unless it was only as a last resort in a fire and you had
no concern about personal dignity or harming the frame, glass, door
rubber, etc.

If you have an enclosed trailer, a 12V wench in the only way to go.

With open trailers you'll want extra long ramps, maybe some pieces of
wood to help get the car started and/or a tilting bed, with an
enclosed trailer, I beavertail door and floor would be ideal.

Just my two cents.

Michael Shortt
Savannah, GA