[DeTomaso] Trailering Tiedown Points

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 20:50:43 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/14/07 15:18:33, peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< No offense taken Matt. You both went in to more detail than I did and
brought up important points. I used to run the straps over the A arms until I was
advised by Pantera people at the Las Vegas event that I was possibly impacting
my alignment when cinching down the car. Is that a valid concern? >>

>>>I have seen A-arms bent by well-intentioned trailer-types, most notably in
the rear.  The front ones seem stronger.  Running the strap through the wheel
in the front seems to be a great technique, and in the back I would
definitely run the strap through some part of the chassis rather than the A-arm.
Contrary to what Matt suggested, it's not difficult to run the rear straps around
the rearmost cross-piece of the chassis (to which the center sway bar mounts
are affixed).

Finally, in the most extreme case, I have seen a Pantera chassis (Ellis
Woumnm's) literally broken by an overzealous tow truck driver.  He cranked down
super-hard on the straps, then took the car on a very bumpy drive.  The chassis
cracked just forward of the footboxes, and he had to weld it back together at a
PCNC tech session.

Larry Stock recently discovered that his chassis was broken there too, and
the only thing holding the car together was his chassis stiffening kit!!!!

Mike

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.