[DeTomaso] Brake Pad info

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Wed Mar 14 19:37:25 EDT 2007

Do you have the 6 pistons on all four corners?  What are you running as an
MC?

I am running the B compound which is also a race compound but not as brutal
on the rotors.  I have way more brake than tire, so I can lock up if not
careful.  They are also noisy and dusty.  On the other hand, even stone cold
they are better than warm Porterfields, and I do not get fading on the
track.

Selection guide:
http://brakepads.wilwood.com/01-selection/index.html

Fiction vs. temperature graphs
http://brakepads.wilwood.com/02-graphs/index.html

I run a pair of 2 PSI blue residual pressure valves.  I also have the
proportioning valve in the front trunk.  If I had to do it over again, I
would have put the valve where I could reach it inside the car.

As I recall, the 6 pistons actually have less total surface area than the 4
pistons, though they are better at heat dissipation.  Your MC may now be
mismatched for your calipers.

For the front lockups, you could put in the proportioning valve or the dual
MC with a balance bar.  The later would be the better option if you have to
replace the MC anyway.