[DeTomaso] Trailering Tiedown Points

Matt Merritt mmerritt at EventVehicles.com
Wed Mar 14 17:43:43 EDT 2007

Hi Rick:

With apologies to Peter - I strongly disagree with his recomendation on
how to tie down your Pantera for towing.  I've hauled my Pantera racecar
all over the place and easily win the prize for most paranoid hauler on
the planet.  I'm also in the car business and have been trained by the
best.  Here's how to do it:

Materials:

1.  First, to safely haul your car you need a trailer with tiedowns that
are at least a couple of feet away from the front and back corners of
your car.  A 24' enclosed trailer or 18' open trailer are optimal.

2.  You'll also need four high-quality ratcheting tie-down straps with
spring-loaded hooks on both ends.  Do NOT USE OPEN HOOKS.  If a strap
with an open hook were to come loose it would just fall off the car
leaving your pride and joy rolling around in the trailer all by itself.
A loose strap is much better than no strap at all.

3.  Get four axle straps.

Placement:

Load the car far enough forward that the balance point is well ahead of
the trailer wheels.  Panteras are lighter in front and need to be loaded
farther forward most cars.  Leave it in gear.  This is another good
reason to have a 24' trailer.

Tie Locations:

Front:  On each corner wrap the axle strap around the rearmost part of
the lower A-arm.  Slide the strap as close to the center of the car as
possible, below all other parts of the suspension, and then to the
ratcheting tiedown strap.  Then run the strap to the trailer's anchor
point.  Use the tiedown on the same side of the car.  Don't cross the
straps unless you have absolutely zero distance between the tie and
anchor ends.  If you need to cross the straps that's a sign that you
need a better trailer.

Rear:  Wrap the axle strap around and to the inside of the forwardmost
lower A-arm, under everything else on the car, and down to the
corresponding trailer tiedown.  Some people alternatively wrap the axle
straps around the brace under the transxle (where everybody puts those
"DeTomaso" plaques) but this works only on early cars with just a rear
mount.  On later cars the side ZF mounts are in the way.

Once you've got the straps on and snug take the car out of gear.  Then
go to whichever end you like and start tightening the straps.  Get them
evenly nice and snug but not insanely tight.  A little slack will cause
the car to move around in the trailer and will put a ton more strain on
the suspension than if it's tied down tightly.  Also, don't forget to
put the car in neutral to take strain off the transaxle.  I also always
put sand bags in front and behind one wheel for a little extra
insurance.  Lastly, after I've driven for a few miles I always pull over
and check to make sure everything is riding properly.

Hope that helps,

Matt Merritt