[DeTomaso] 1/2 shaft bolts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 11:00:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/14/07 6:40:56, charlesbuthala at yahoo.com writes:

<< I read an article about using 7/16 bolts for the half shafts with a full
shank diameter through both the ZF output flange and the 1/2 shaft flange to
reduce vibration.  I can not seem to find this type of bolt any suggestions as
to where I can order these?  I have tried the local fastener shops and ARP.
ARP stated they could special order $$$ >>

>>>They are EASY and CHEAP from Aircraft Spruce.

The part you want is AN7-11A, which is 1 7/32nds inches long with a nominal
grip length of 9/16.  They are less than a buck apiece.  They use standard
7/16-20 nylock nuts (also available from them at the same time, cheaply).

I think it was Jack who cautioned that AN7 bolts are machined differently,
with a radius between the shank and the bolt head (which makes them stronger),
which could interfere and prevent them from seating properly?  I've got these
bolts in my car and had no such interference problems, due to the chamfer in
the holes that was already there.  But I suppose if you did have a problem, you
could chamfer the holes.

Another more labor-intensive solution would be to buy longer 7/16-20 bolts to
get the desired grip length (unthreaded length on the shank), and then cut
them down to the proper overall length.

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.