[DeTomaso] Rear Suspension Upper Ball Joint Removal "Issues"- Help Needed!

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 13 21:42:48 EDT 2007

Guys:

Due to a number of reasons, I'm pulling my rear suspension uprights.

Now I don't have any problems with the lower pivot rod, but the upper ball
joint. That's where I'm stuck... both literally, and figuratively. My manual
talks about a standard Ford tool, but I don't have one of them...whatever it
may be. And the upright doesn't seem to have any specific locations where
you're supposed to whack it, not like the front steering ball joints. In
fact reading my factory manual gives me absolutely zero guidance. They used
that all purpose phrase "take it apart"....

So the question for tonight is; how do you remove the upper ball joint
without ruining the existing bootie, and ball joint? I do have the cotter
key removed, the castle nut turned down, and the flat washer removed.
Unfortunately it's still "assembled", doesn't show any signs of falling
apart for me.

Do I need a graduated set of hammers? Or ???

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"