[DeTomaso] GTS Scan issue ???

Visit ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 16:49:34 EDT 2007

I went to scan a standard size film photo.  The max selectable scan quality
is 600DPI, this creates a final
file size of 84K. ???  This seems way too small.  But it has been years
since I scanned Pantera photos.

In the past I remember scanner images in much greater resolution, but I
can't figure out why I'm getting such a low result.  I've set the LPI to the
max.

I have an old scanner, and I am downloading an update.  When I went to
install this scanner directly to my newer machine, to see if I got to
choose a higher resolution, the install disk said it works on W98, but it
thinks I have w95 or less ??? So it stopped the install.  (I'm running XP)

I guess I have a REALLY old scanner!  (HP 3300C) Vintage 1999 or 2000 ???

So I went back to the older machine, where it was already installed.  But
the best quality I get is sad.
I don't remember the resultant images being this small in file size, or this
low quality.
I always had to shrink the physical size, and select a lower resolution
before I added one to my old website.

When I installed "an update" from HP on my newest/fastest machine, the HP SW
that controls the scanner locks up.
( Some update eh ?)

I really think I got much better resolution with this scanner, and other
Pantera photos.  OK I just compared my old un-edited
scanned photos from Vegas 2002... largest are over 600K files, and
noticeably better resolution.  They were scanned into jpg format.
I'm trying a bitmap now to see if it is any better resolution.  It is
slightly better resolution, and the size went from 84K to 1,500K.
That seems like a big jump in size for a small increase in resolution.
I remember there are several compression levels of jpg, but I don't see any
place to select this option.

Any suggestions?
Chuck