[DeTomaso] Front End Alignment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 14:35:30 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/12/07 10:12:36, fstoye at aol.com writes:

<<  Other than normal/factory settings for fromt end alignment, is there
anything I should take into consideration in haveing this done? I have new tires
going on the front and I have checked all my manual/etc about settings. The old
tires seem to have worn mainly on the inside 1/3 of each more than the
outside 2/3. These tires have lasted 10 years and about 18,000 miles including
several trips to local road courses and Michigan Speedway. Getting things ready for
the trip to Vegas in April. Thanks!! >>

>>>Have you rebuilt your steering rack?  Before spending good money on a
wheel alignment, check to see if your steering rack is shot.  They typically start
to go bad at about 30K miles and are totally wasted by 60K miles.  The repair
is relatively simple and cheap, and requires a wheel alignment afterwards, so
don't put the cart before the horse.

Other than that, it's all very straightforward stuff that any alignment shop
should be very comfortable with.

I would also advice that even if you don't feel like getting into radical
modifications to your steering system, you should still consider installing 10mm
rack spacers (which De Tomaso issued as standard equipment starting in about
'73) which will improve your bump-steer condition measurably.  It won't make it
perfect, just better than what you have.

Let me know if you need a set of those spacers, as I have several sets lying
about.

Mike (about to perform yet another rack rebuild/spacer install on
Thursday....)<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
http://www.aol.com.