[DeTomaso] follow up on ZF output bearings

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 11 17:39:30 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/11/07 1:23:12 PM, charlesbuthala at yahoo.com writes:

<< You don't think that the 0.019 inch backlash is going to be a problem? >>

Maybe, as far as noise and a 'jerk' when you transition from acceleration to
'slow-down'. If the contact pattern is well centered on the ring gear tooth
face but you still have high backlash, it may be that tooth wear is whats at
fault. Sometimes you can sink the tooth contact pattern further toward the ring
gear's tooth-root to minimize backlash. This can be done by shimming the ring
gear outward just a little, but its not a sure cure and will probably cause
your other shim sizes to change. All the tooth faces are curved and our heads
don't deal with compound curves very well so I can't even guess as to how much
shim you'd need -and you'll have to fabricate them anyway as ZFs don't use ring
gear shims and Ford 9" or GM-10-bolt shims likely won't fit. Dunn- I think at
this point I'd FAX Lloyd Butfoy and ask his opinion. He'll give you reliable
info by return-FAX rather than my guesses. This is  his preferred method of
answering as he's super-busy with nearly 75 ZF assemblies right now. His FAX # is
on his website-
<RBTTRANSMISSIONS. COM>  Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more
about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.