[DeTomaso] follow up on ZF output bearings

charles buthala charlesbuthala at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 01:03:54 EST 2007

All Righty then, I got the bearings for the output shafts of the ZF and installed them.  I bent the rules slightly by measuring the traction force of the output shaft and added it, ratio, to the traction force of the differential to adjust the taper bearing / differential torque.
  In this way I did not have to remove the ring gear from the differential in order to install the bearings and adjust the backlash / gear contact pattern.  Three trials were needed in order to get the proper traction force of between 12 and 16 Lbf, and a proper elliptical pattern on the drive side of the ring gear when bluing was used.
  In the manual it states that the backlash or slop in the ring gear should be adjusted to the amount written on the ring gear.  I found this on the ring gear; Stamped (1031 309 045 ZF 1), and etched ( 4678, D:75,00 sp; 0,20 (30,8,72). On the two gear teethe on either side of the "sp" were Theta symbols?  I am guessing that the backlash is the sp; 0,20 or 0.008 inch.
  Now the confusing part the back lash was 0.019 when I got a vary nice pattern on the drive side of the ring gear.  The cost side was slightly to the toe side of the gear teethe.
  I had to remove 0.0085 shim on the left and add this shim and an a 0.006 shim additional to the left side to get this result.  I am concerned with the backlash of 0.019  and slightly concerned with the toe pattern of the cost side of the wear pattern.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.