[DeTomaso] Engine Oil Analysis / Willow Springs Update

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Sat Mar 10 01:09:21 EST 2007

Blackstone Labs can do a full oil analysis for $20.  The report will
contain both chemicals and solids (silicon, tin, alum, iron, etc.).  You
should be able to tell from the oil analysis what component is creating
the sheen.  Iron is usually related to rings, valve or block wear,
copper would be your dizzy drive, lead is bearings, etc.  Of course if
you're going to disassemble the engine anyway then the oil analysis is
probably not necessary, though it might be interesting.
The Blackstone Labs is: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Dave Bell

My thought is if you have metallic sheen thats all you need to know. Cut
your filter and look for metal imbedded in the element. If you got noise
I am betting bearings. Are you running a bronze dizzy gear? That could
be a source of sheen, but so is copper bearing..... Change the oil hope
for the best, or pull it out which would be a direction you would have
to take to inspect it properly anyway. What does the noise sound like?
Personally, I would save your money on the oil analysis, heck, you
already know you got metal...He would just say yep there is metal in
your oil........At that point its not that important what type, you will
have to pull it out anyway to fix it. And should be easy to find the
source with the inspection. -----