[DeTomaso] gas tank vent question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Mar 9 15:37:37 EST 2007

I am working on my pre-L '72 and was told that the charcoal filter in the
gas tank vent system probably was long gone, and that I really didn't need
to even use the little blue metal cooking-pot shaped air filter anymore.

It was suggested that I simply run a short hose from the vent nipple on the
tank to the one-way valve I bought (to prevent gas leaking out in the event
of a flip) and terminate it with a simple, in-line fuel filter.

Does that sound reasonable, will it work, is it safe, and does anyone have
any better idea?

That would mean I wouldn't need to have that blue, metal can mounted on the
right side of the engine bay anymore, and I would have more foom for my
subwoofer cabinet.

Thanks,

Chris