[DeTomaso] tire opinion

Dagny Kristine Bakken dagny-kr at online.no
Thu Mar 8 16:40:43 EST 2007

>I guess those wanting to stick with the 7 and 8 inch rims are the only of
us drowning in tire choices at reasonable prices :) .However a change to a
lower tire like 185/60x15 and 225/60x15,will get the car and weight down to
get higher cornerspeeds.I found some lines about the Arriva changeover,in
Wallace A Wyss good book :De Tomaso Automobiles.The author writes:Although
the Michelin and Pirelli were well respected brands,Ford was worried that
they might break traction rather suddenly at the limit of  adhesion,and were
not ideal for use on a car with the majority of its weight over the rear
wheels as this often give oversteer tendencies.The pantera,however,was more
controllable than the mangusta in this respect, as it had a stiffer
structure.Ford then worked with Goodyear to develop the Arriva.It was a bias
belted tyre ,which Ford felt was less likely to suffer from sudden breakaway
like a radial.Unfortunately,the Arriva tyres soon went out of round,and if
parked too long ,they got flat spots which made slapping noises and caused
vibrations after a cold drive-away.Their wet-weather traction,too,was also
marginal.

Eyvind Bakken

  _____