[DeTomaso] Poly Bushings for the ZF

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 15:33:37 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/6/07 18:57:17, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

<< I just received a bunch of parts from Dennis Quella, including new ZF
bushings to replace the rubber side mounts that were in sad shape.  The ones
Dennis sent are polyurethane.  It seems I recall someone on the forum, and
it may have been Jack DeRyke, saying that you don't want to use poly for
these bushings.  Am I correct or have I been sniffing too much paint
remover?  And if so, why would Quella sell them? >>

>>>You can probably get away with using poly bushings for the ZF mount,
although I would much prefer the stock rubber ones, which do a much better job of
isolating drivestrain vibration from the chassis.

Jack's warning was specifically relating to poly motor mounts, which have a
bad habit of melting and turning to goo.  Some other cars can get away with
poly mounts, (although they are intended for racing, since they are much stiffer
and transfer a bunch of vibration into the car, making it rather miserable to
live with).

As to why the vendors sell poly?  Because they are CHEAP.

If you're what Dennis Yogi refers to as a "Cheap Charlie", then poly is for
you.  If you are more interested in OEM quality, then rubber is the way to go.

FWIW I know some other Pantera vendors have tooled up and produced
replacement engine and ZF mounts from rubber, and the cost isn't too outrageous.  In
fact I bet Dennis will gladly sell you either style.

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.