[DeTomaso] tire opinion

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 16:30:31 EST 2007

<<< The factory's proven combination for the Pantera should be a
  guidline. The GTS with 8 inch rims and 225/50x15 tires at front
  and 10 inch rims and 285/50x15 tires at rear. >>>

  I wasn't aware of such a proven combination, but then again I
  don't know much about the GTS models. However, I believe U.S.
  Panteras (L and pre-L) came with Campy 7's and 8's, front and
  rear, mounted with Goodyear Arriva tires in 71-74 mounted with
  the following size tires...

           Original Size     Modern Equivelant Size
  Front:      C60V-15              215/60/15
  Rear:       H60V-15              255/60/15

  My point is merely a clarification of how my car came, and I don't
  like how it looks with the stock sized tall skinny tires.

  I agree with you about a small tire on a wide rim provides less
  sidewall flex than a wide tire on a small rim and increases
  stability and steering responsiveness. I have also found that a
  285/50/15 tire is not readily available, at least not in an H
  speed rating or better. Therefore, I prefer to have a better built
  tire with a speed rating to match what I'm likely to subject it to.