[DeTomaso] tire opinion

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 12:06:30 EST 2007

Stephen,

  I'm in the same situation and have been researching and searching for tires since last
  Summer. I just visited one of my local tire shops to check their prices and availability
  against what I found online. So, here's my opinion...

  Buy Toyo Proxes. I've included links to the best prices I've found so far. FWIW, each tire is
  approximately $40 more from Americas/Discount Tire. You have two different options for the
  front tire - Proxes 4 or Proxes T1-R.  I prefer the Proxes 4 on the front because I think the
  tread pattern more closely matches the tread pattern of the S/T on the rear. Anyway, I've
  included them both so you can decide for yourself.

  Front:
  Proxes T1-R  225/50/15  91V (149mph)  $97
  http://ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Toyo_PROXES_T1-R.html or

  Proxes 4  225/50/15  95V (149mph)  $71
  http://www.ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Toyo_Proxes_4.html

  Rear:
  Proxes S/T  295/50/15  HR (130mph)  $100
  http://www.ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Toyo_ST.html#ToyoST

  My comments on your choices follow:
1.  Dunlop GT Qualifier T - T speed rating - 225/15/50 front and 295/15/50 back - about $430 mounted
  >>> These tires are only rated to 115 mph.  You will likely exceed that in "spirited" street
  use. And, the GT Qualifier is not known for excellent grip. The Toyo's I listed above offer a
  better combination of performance, handling and style at about the same price point.

2.  Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial - VR speed rating - 275/15/50 all the way around (only available size)
  - about $750 mounted (these are the tires Dennis (aka Dawg) wrote about last week)
  >>> These are NOT the tires the Dawg wrote about last week. These are Drag Radials.
  DO NOT use these on your Pantera. The are not designed for the side loads your Pantera
  can generate. I believe MD mentioned the Nitto NT01, which is a DOT approved road race
  tire. However, it's not available in a size suitable for the rear of our cars.  Anyway, do not
  mount drag radials on your Pantera.

  Cheers!
  Garth
  $4033