[DeTomaso] Busted motor mount bolt help needed

Tom Di Iulio diiulio at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 5 23:16:15 EST 2007

I went thru this last year prior to the Pahrump event. It was the
passenger side mount (both bolts) and it was AWFUL. I broke 2 different
easy-outs trying to free the busted studs. I finally resorted to my
dremel and a diamond carbide tip drill/grinder (actually several) that
ate the embedded studs in tiny bites.
It took FOREVER but I finally got it. Then used a drill bit to clean out
the hole, re-thread with a tap, and inserted a new bolt (actually
smaller than the original).
It held up fine. Of course, then I busted my camshaft on the track and
had to pull the engine anyway. The machinist corrected my "fix" as he
was align-boring the block.
During this painful experience, I learned that
1. you must drill completely thru a bolt for an easy-out to have a
chance.
2. easy-outs don't work for s#$t no matter what.
3. dremel noise can cover up the noise of a man crying.
Tom Di Iulio
Denver, CO