[DeTomaso] Busted motor mount bolt help needed

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 20:01:23 EST 2007

Hi guys,

I just got a call from Terry Eriksen, a project Pantera owner currently
living in Stockton, CA (and not a member of this forum).  His e-mail address is
DAlliance69 at aol.com, so please hit 'reply all' with answers to his queries, as
otherwise he won't see them.

While performing a 'creeper tour' of the underside of his car, he discovered
that one of the two bolts securing the upper motor mount to the engine block
on one side of the car has sheared off inside the block.  It would be nice if a
stub were sticking out that he could grab onto, but no such luck.

So, his question is, how does he deal with it?  By what means can he
successfully extract the offending bolt without actually having to remove the motor
from the car?

I mentioned to him the idea of EDM, which my dim recollection tells me stands
for Electro-Discharge Machining, and is basically a Harry Potteresque means
of dissolving metal you don't want, while preserving the metal that you do, but
I am completely unfamiliar with the mechanics, and whether it requires a bare
engine block to start out with, or can be accomplished with the motor in the
car?

Terry is an air traffic controller, and he plans to drive the car to Oklahoma
City to attend training out there from 12 July to 6 August (attention Okie
Pantera crew--dust off the red carpet accordingly!), and from there, he will be
driving to his new, yet-to-be-purchased home in the San Diego area where he
will be working at the ATC facility there (ditto to the SDP crew).

Again, please hit 'reply all' when weighing in with proposed solutions to his
problem.  If in fact he has to remove the engine from the car in order to get
it sorted, he has a pile of food and beer standing by, to offer to those
local (Modesto/Fresno?) Pantera guys who might feel like stopping by for a day of
wrenching.

Cheers!

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.