[DeTomaso] zf tranny fluid swap - allen wrench

SEL edlebby at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 21:12:51 EST 2007

thanks all - walking blind is slow and painful - OK Gray, well I tried Sears first and the only thing they had was an allen key - so not wanting to waste time, I bought that - I was looking for a hex in a socket, but they didn't stock it - came home and cut off a one and half inch piece and used it with a socket for the drain plug - hey...even a blind squirrel finds an acorn on occassion! - a few days ago, in anticipation of this, I went to to buy fluids - the store's 75-90 was not full synthetic (which someone had recommended) - they had a 75-140 which was - read the label - they were both made to meet the same api spec, so I bought it - as some of you with kids might identify with, the drain happened hours ago...then reality struck...now I am coming back to this - so:

1. is this the wrong fluid? - even if a 75-90 or 75-80 would have been better, will this stuff hurt?

2. I have a type - 2 (it appears) - and I now see the fill plug (17mm) on the driver side - out of curiousity, what is the small plug on the top, right, back corner of the unit - it has a square top (male) - looks around 10-11mm in size - is this what Chuck's notes refer to as an earlier model also having a top load option?

3. Chuck's notes refer to a dipstick - if there is one on this unit, where is it?

thanks again! stephen