[DeTomaso] ZF Questions

charles buthala charlesbuthala at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 09:44:45 EST 2007

Good news the bearings and races are out.  I had to cut the cage off the bearings and remove all the rollers.  Using a small bearing separator behind the inner race on the right hand side, I then used a gear puller on the bolts of the bearing separator.
  This was the last possible combination of parts from five different tools.
  From the ZF manual I think this is how the installation will go. Please correct me if I interpret the directions incorrectly.
  Install Diff with out the ring gear, then install  the taper bearings.
  Install original shims behind the outer race.
  Bolt up assembly with the gaskets on flanges.
  Measure torque of diff.  re-shim if necessary to get proper torque.
  Assemble ring gear, and LH and RH flange assemblies.
  Reinstall flanges with all hardware and measure backlash.
  If necessary reconfigure shims behind LH and RH (no additions just swap) outer race to get proper backlash.
  Finish final assembly.
  Last question does anyone out there have a drawing of the tool needed (.7 yoke for removing 906) to remove the race.  Or better yet would anyone be willing to rent the tools needed.  I will make it worth the effort.

JDeRyke at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 3/03/07 2:40:57 PM, charlesbuthala at yahoo.com writes:    << I am surprised they didn't replace the bearings then, but then again maybe they weren't bad then.  The car sat for about 2 years before I bought it..... >>    Simply sitting around may have done it. It seems the harder the steel, the   less corrosion it can withstand and condensed water from the diff case vent   would float on top of the lube. Etched bearing races are pretty common,   unfortunately. Good luck on your rebuild- J DeRyke

 AOL now offers free email to everyone.    Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.