[DeTomaso] ULTIMATE windshield wiper mechanism source

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 01:22:03 EST 2007

I thought I'd sent that window-motor post to a non-forum questioner. Shows
you can't trust the web...
I've had two problems with the wipers in a little less than 30 yrs, both
caused by the electrics. First was a stall caused by corrosion in the
multi-connector powering the motor; Radio Shack contact cleaner spray fixed it. Second one
was a few years later- the little box on top of the motor is a reversing
switch with sets of points that stick. Again, contact cleaner. If you do this, be
careful- the box cover is very fragile plastic and if you crack it, corrosion
will be worse than before.
In most cases (I'm told), excess use wears the soft spring used as a
drive-worm for the harder wiper arm pinions. Diassembling, unfastening the clamp at
the motor that holds the spring and rotating it 180 degrees exposes an unworn
surface to the pinions at each wiper arm. First engineer that found this was on
a Euro pushbutton from Holland in the late '70s. I've not had to do this but I
have added fresh waterproof grease to the drive and cable every decade or so.
One machinest-owner managed to adapt a Toyota wiper mechanism to his car but
the tech problems were immense- took him two years of trying to get something
that worked as well as the stock Jag unit. As he found, the cowl is made of
very thin steel, which flexes under applied loads...  Beyond the above, you're
on your own. Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's
free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.