[DeTomaso] Volvo Brake Calipers

Phil Lockett montecarlo296 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 03:45:35 EST 2007

I asked about this on a UK Volvo forum. To date, this is the only reply I got. I have asked for the article that he mentions.

  Quote:

  Evenin'

There aren't many people here with 240s, hence the lack of replies. Incidentaly, it doesn't just have to a 244s...and I suspect you don't want a later model with ABS, as the calipers are probably different)

Most 240s have 4-pot fixed Girling calipers, and a 240 can still outbrake most modern cars, despite weighing...er...well surprisingly only about 100kg more than a new Golf, actually! Mine is an automatic, so I get almost no engine braking, but it still stops in one hell of a hurry when suitably provoked, and you're always concious that there's a great deal of stopping power beneath the wide pedal!

If that's not enough for you, there are suppliers in the US who can get you adaptor brackets to allow the fitment of the huge 4-pot Brembo 'R' calipers (from the S60R/V70R models). I'm led to believe that these are very similar to the brakes fitted to most Mitsubishi Evos. The discs are a drop-in, I believe.

If you'd like to know more, I'm sure I can dig out an article on the swap.

cheers

James