[DeTomaso] 86 Pantera GT5s for sale on Craigslist

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Sat Jun 30 08:26:41 EDT 2007

Mike,

If it is the car you think it is, I know it well. If it was owned by a
former Chesapeake Panteras member in Alexandria VA, my records indicate
that it should be an '87. It sold a few years ago. The mileage is low
but the well worn interior suggests the car has gone more distance than
the odometer has recorded. The Alexandria owner was legally blind but
drove the car anyway. On one outing, it was hit hard in the right front
corner. The car has been repainted twice that I know of. Originally the
car did not have a rear spoiler but one large enough to suggest flight
might be possible was added by the VA owner. Adding this amenity was
accomplished by punching rather large holes through a once pristine deck
lid. There is probably limited A/C due to flattened condenser fins that
happened when the clutch was replaced. The car sold about 3 years ago
yielding a generous $50k. I would offer much less today considering the
amount of work necessary to correct the amateurish updates.

An exotic car dealer in Baltimore had the car in their showroom for
years but it was owned at that time by an elusive individual living in
Florida. Andy was very interested in purchasing it and I helped Andy
inspect the car at the auto dealer. It showed no signs of damage then
but the entire underneath of the car suggested many more miles than the
odometer suggested. To his good fortune, Andy could never strike a deal
with the Florida owner and the car was finally purchased by the person
in Alexandria for $50k.

I guess it depends how much someone wants a GT5-S.

Fred T.