[DeTomaso] Traffic Laws.......was; Re: Cleveland/Windsor Differences? Was Life Expectancy

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 00:24:47 EDT 2007

Here in California the biggest traffic revenue maker tyhese days are intersection camera tickets....I got one in a company truck about a year ago when I got caught in the intersection "box" after the traffic light had turned red...

  The old rule is or was that as long as you were in the intersection box on green or a yellow you 'usually' got a free pass if the light turned red after you were in the intersection and had started your turn....

  The cameras set up at all most every intersection in and around L.A. don't even turn on UNTIL the light turns red which seems fair until you get caught behind someone putting on makeup or juggling a cell phone....

  In my case I incorrectly followed a driver in front of me into the intersection who then fell asleep or hesitated too long before making the turn and of course I got nailed on the camera ticket after the light turned red.........and yea, I reviewed the camera film with an officer but the car in front of me was history and I couldn't turn in front of an approaching car going in the opposite direction so for safety sake I waited until he passed before turning....about a month later I was in "traffic school"......

  Instructor asked everyone to raise their hands that had got nailed by traffic cameras and about two thirds of the class raised their hands. I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but in SoCal the intersection cameras are everywhere.
  fwiw
  md
Michael Shortt <michaelsavga at gmail.com> wrote:
  You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until you read the newest Traffic Laws in
Virginia which go into effect on July 1st.

June 29, 2007 8:44 AM

If you are a bad driver and live in VIRGINIA you better do all your bad
driving before SUNDAY.

According to USA TODAY reporter Dennis Cauchon, on JULY 1 if you live in
Virginia and get caught driving with a suspended license it will cost you
$750 on top of existing fines and court fees.

According to the article, if you get caught going 20 miles an hour over the
speed limit you will have to pay $1,050 PLUS $61 IN COURT COSTS AND a FINE
of $200.

If you are caught driving drunk and it is a FIRST-TIME OFFENSE you will have
to pay $2,250 PLUS FINES AND COURT COSTS THAT COULD RUN ANOTHER $500. For
the most serious offenses a Virginia driver could get a $3,000 ticket.

Cauchon says the new fines are expected to bring in $65 MILLION A YEAR and
will be used to improve Virginia's roads. Traffic court attorney Thaddeus
Furlong told the paper, "WHEN MR. and MRS. MIDDLE CLASS FIND OUT WHAT THEY
HAVE TO PAY, THERE's GOING TO BE A BACKLASH LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN."

Lon Anderson of AAA MID-ATLANTIC disagrees. "THESE PENALTIES ARE HARSH, BUT
NORMAL FINES HAVEN'T GOTTEN PEOPLE TO DRIVE SANELY. MAYBE THIS WILL."

Whatever you do Paris Hilton, just don't move to Virginia!

Michael "Slowing Down when I Visit" Shortt

--
Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia

privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it. Thank you