[DeTomaso] 4416 Runs but need help with A3's and key switch

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 29 00:12:30 EDT 2007

The big plugs on the ends of the heads are pipe threads.  The ones on the
front of my heads are 3/4" pipe threads.  The plugs in the back look larger,
but they're probably also 3/4" pipe.

Good luck removing them.  If the heads are used, they're probably seized up
pretty tight.  I believe the factory plugs were aluminum.  It tends to bond
to the head after the plug has been there a while.  I'd ask a machinist how
to remove them.  Once removed, I'd seal them with regular pipe dope.

There are also 4 very small plugs that are 5/16" coarse threads.  They are
on the intake face at the ends.  You can either plug them with 5/16" bolts
or set screws.  I used stainless set screws with a little bit of silicone.
Some intakes have bolt holes in those locations.  The intake I recently
installed had them exposed in the rear, but covered in the front.  The one I
removed had them covered on both ends with a boss to drill out if you wanted
to run lines.

Keep in mind I'm not a machinist.  The older wiser guys on the list know
more about this stuff than me.  That's what worked on my A3 heads, though.

Will.