[DeTomaso] 4416 Runs but need help with A3's and key switch

charles buthala charlesbuthala at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 21:53:11 EDT 2007

The monster is alive after many months, dollars, and time.  I had the engine totally overhauled and all new components installed.  My neighbor said that we loosened his dentures when we got it rev ed up to get the bearings lubed.
  After heating up to 160 F there was steam coming out of the four plugs in the 6049-A3 heads.  Are the plugs in the ends of the heads pressed in or screwed in?  The heads were cleaned and machined, could the cleaning have caused the plugs to loosen or break the seal that they had before?  Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it.  I need to know if they are a press fit or threaded and what method was used to seal them back up.
  My second problem is the ignition switch.  I could not turn the engine off.  The key switch did nothing.  I was going to convert it to a push button start but never got around to doing so.  I read something a while back that there was a company selling components for a reasonable price?