[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 35, Issue 27 Life expectancy

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 11:45:24 EDT 2007

I have to agree with most that the more
stroke the less constant high rpm you can do without
tearing it down more often...it also goes for
compression... we all want street driven cars
and when you go up to the 12 to 13 to 1 then
of course the hp is up but life expectancy is
about one half according to my builder... 40hrs
of hard running vs 20 hours.... I mean right at
6800 rpm most of the time on the track like it
should be driven...  I also know that as you
put more money into the motor you listen to
it a lot more and care for it more... run the valves,
change plugs, air and oil filters... etc etc
My Pantera motor has a blown head gasket right now
I could just replace that and be on my way but
I have 7 hard track days and one Silver State
and have decided to go thru the whole thing
as it is at least 35% worn out already... if I
did not have the money in it then I would go
the other way.. 12 blown or hurt motors
in my life time has made me a wiser man
Some were junkyard motors but most had
the good stuff inside.. they used to call me
spun bearing Benson for a while... 6 motors
had this issue
I need to get the Pantera running again
I can hear a dawg barking in the background

Bob Benson #3 black Pantera