[DeTomaso] ZF on eBay

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue Jun 26 19:35:30 EDT 2007

I spoke with the gentleman before he put it on E-Bay.  He sought my insight
on its value.  Unfortunately, The ZF had sat unmolested during his entire
period of ownership.  I informed him that without occasionally rotating the
assembly, the internals above the oil line can corrode.  I recommended that
he pull the cover to inspect for signs of corrosion.  He did not think it
was stored with any oil in it! As I recall, he lived in a dryer climate than
normal and the internals may have been spared.  I do not know if he
inspected it internally.  It found its way to EBay shortly after our
dialogue.

I do not know if he checked for internal corrosion, yet the possibility
certainly would have tempered my enthusiasm for paying top dollar.  A shop
typically gets $1200 just to open and reseal the case.  That is before
parts.  It seems as if he got a very good price.

JT