[DeTomaso] 408 Stroker Life Expectancy

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 14:54:39 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/07 11:12:06 AM, artstephens at charter.net writes:

<< OK guys,  I'm looking at doing a 408 stroker Cleveland this time around.
I drive a lot.  Any idea how many miles this thing should last?  I would like
to see 50,000 miles out of it.  Does that sound possible? >>

Sure, Art- as long as you don't spend too much time in the upper rev ranges.
At 408 cubes, the cylinder walls will necessarily have been bored .030, making
them thinner than normal so they will be sensitive to side thrust. With long
rods, the piston will be very short so the ring package will be pushed up
nearer to the combustion chamber where it will run hotter. And short pistons
wobble more, beating up the skirts.  If the cylinder walls are  too thin or
micro-width rings are used to fit the restricted space, ring seal will be poor. A 408
is a torque engine, not a high-rev screamer; sonic test all candidate blocks,
cam it for mid-range, use a rev-limiter and if you like big numbers on the
speedo, regear the ZF rather than spinning the motor, and you should get
reasonable mileage from this assembly (although maybe not 50K!) Good luck- J DeRyke
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>