[DeTomaso] Parking brake adjustment

Roland Jaeckel Jaeckel-Partner-GMBH at t-online.de
Sun Jun 24 15:40:35 EDT 2007

Charlie,
First loose the nut A, that the arm (whitch looks corroded),
where the cable is attached goes all way back.
Then adjust nut B so fare, that you have  a gap of appr.
0,5 mm on each pad to the disc. Then you can tighten
the cable again. New pads come from a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II.
You should be more worried on the rust that drains out of the
cap of the lower spindle of your car.
A rusted up spindle in your lower upright / a-arm will break
the a-arm. Time for a greaseable spindle kit from Pantera East.

Roland Jaeckel
DeTomaso Parts Center Europe
www.detomaso.de

Hi all,

How do you adjust the parking brake on a late-model Pantera? I ask
late-model because Thomas Gunnarsson thinks it may be different than an
early model. And looking in the Shop Manual, I see the ever-helpful "The
parking brake is self-adjusting, so you shouldn't have to adjust it ever..."
or something like that.

Please see the photo at
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/Misc/parkingbrake

You can see the gap between the brake pad and the rotor.

The parking brake was working just fine last week, I took off for a little
10-day drive, and partway through it stopped working. I did bottom out on a
speed bump pretty hard, which may or may not be related. There is absolutely
zero braking action when pulling on the lever. Looking underneath the car,
the mechanism is working fine - everything moves like it should (I think)
when pulling on the lever but there is a large gap between the pad and the
rotor.

I tried adjusting nut "A", which moves the whole mechanism to the left,
which closes the pads a little. But I've almost adjusted all the way to the
end and still am far from having braking action.

Nut "B" is another option, but it doesn't look like it is something I'm
supposed to move, since I can't get a wrench on it. It isn't finger-tight -
I can't move it by hand and am nervous about clamping down on it.

Hence the call for help.

"Help!"

Thanks!