[DeTomaso] CUSTOM ZF REAR TRANY MOUNTS, "QUICK RELEASE"

NED BYRNE, CB SECURITIES, LLC nbyrne4 at bloomberg.net
Fri Jun 22 12:01:47 EDT 2007

"Just Another Blue Pantera" just returned to the road after some upgrades like
MSD, removable cross member and emergency break brackes.  Things like that.
One of the things that we did when we pulled the ZF to put in a new clutch was
add a customized "rear" trany mount.  This looks like it "should" be stock.  We
cut off the rear most brackets on both sides with a sawsall.  Welded the cut
off pieces onto plates such that when the plate was pressed up against the flat
steel under the mount the original bracket stuck up in the original position.
That was sort of the trickiest part, having the plates placed over the cut so
that the trany mounting bolt and spacers were all correct.  The plates were
trimed (a lot of small cuts and some grinding) so that they would extend down
below the trany mount to the sway bar mounts.  We drilled wholes in the plates
where the sway bar mounts bolts align.  Removed the sway bar, sliped the new
trany mount over the bolts, put the sway bar back in place and presto chango
new "quick (for a Pantera) release" trany mounts.  To remove the trany now all
you have to do is unbolt the original mount bolts, free up the four sway bar
bolts, remove the new trany mounts and slide the ZF back about two inches.  I
will be taking pictures and sending them on shortly to where ever I'm soposed
to send things like this.  Hope this helps someone.
        Ned "Just Another Blue Pantera" #2981 '72 Pre-L Byrne