[DeTomaso] Dura-spark key-on coil burn-up fix

Rick rwgushue at gte.net
Thu Jun 21 02:27:10 EDT 2007

   Here's my thoughts as I have run the same Duraspark II for 10 years. I
installed it myself and if my poor memory serves well, leaving the key
on, the unit after a short time, maybe less than a minute will sense no
signal from the distributor. The box will then kill the voltage to the
coil, problem solved. I understand and believe all the previous posts
about frying the coil. Not looking to get flamed here. If I can find the
info again, I'll post it here. From an electronics point of view it
makes sense as to 'why fry the coil ?' Also years past I have melted
down a couple of coils using the old points type distributor ;^) If I
get a chance maybe I'll get out the voltmeter and check it again.
Rick
1582